Re: Possible bug in Postgres? Followup to "How do you select from a table until a condition is met?" - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Possible bug in Postgres? Followup to "How do you select from a table until a condition is met?"
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 23:21:18 +0100, Nicholas Allen <nallen@freenet.co.uk> wrote:
> However, if I try to count the records using the count(*) function I get the following error.
>
> ERROR:  Attribute vu_tbl_user_all_s.s_surname must be GROUPed or used in an aggregate function
>
> Surely, if postgres can execute the query it should also be able to count the rows that would be returned in the
query?Is this a bug in Postgres and is there a work around? I am using Postgres 7.3.

If you are using count you probably don't want to be returning surnames, just
the count.