Re: What is wrong with this identification configuration? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: What is wrong with this identification configuration?
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 18:28:38 -0500, Wei Weng <wweng@kencast.com> wrote:
> This is the idenfication setup in my /var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf
>
> local   all                                             trust
> host    all     127.0.0.1       255.255.255.255         trust
>
> This is supposed to authenticate any user to be able to access my
> postgresql system any time, no?

Well, the authentication method is trust so you are letting any local user
connect to the database as any user.

If this isn't what you wanted, look into using ident authentication.

> But this is what happened ( I tried to "log in" the template1 database
> with root, postgres system account and my own user account)
>
> [root@Monet wweng]# su postgres
> bash-2.05a$ psql template1
> psql: FATAL 1:  No pg_hba.conf entry for host localhost, user postgres,
> database template1
>
> bash-2.05a$ exit
> [root@Monet wweng]# psql template1
>
> psql: FATAL 1:  No pg_hba.conf entry for host localhost, user root,
> database template1
>
> [root@Monet wweng]# exit
> [wweng@Monet wweng]$ psql template1
> psql: FATAL 1:  No pg_hba.conf entry for host localhost, user wweng,
> database template1
>
> Why is this happening? And how can I log in the template1 database?
>
> I am using postgresql 7.2.3 on Redhat 7.3.
>
> bash-2.05a$ rpm -qa | grep postgresql
> postgresql-7.2.3-5.73
> postgresql-libs-7.2.3-5.73
> postgresql-server-7.2.3-5.73
> postgresql-devel-7.2.3-5.73
>
> Thanks a lot!

The format of the hba.conf file changed between 7.1 and 7.2. It looks like
you are using an old one. After the database field, there is now a user
field. To get the same effect as before, use 'all' for the user.