Re: DatabaseMetaData oddities - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Oliver Jowett
Subject Re: DatabaseMetaData oddities
Date
Patches applied Re: DatabaseMetaData oddities  (Dave Cramer <Dave@micro-automation.net>)
List pgsql-jdbc
On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 01:00:11PM -0500, Kris Jurka wrote:

> The getTypeInfo patch uses functionality not in Java 1.1 so it cannot be
> used in the jdbc1 package.

I'll look at revising this shortly. What specifically isn't available in 1.1
that the patch used? (the JDK javadoc is fairly useless at giving an
overview of API changes by version).

> The getMaxTableNameLength patch is not a good idea.  You're changing
> something general to fix a very specific problem.  I would recomend using
> explicit constraint names or petitioning backend developers to create
> non-conflicating auto generated names.

Certainly the best fix is to fix the backend.. Where's the best place to
forward this to? I doubt I'll have time to work on this myself.

In the meantime I'll probably use an explicitly named constraint as you
suggest, but this is likely to bite anyone using the metadata values to
generate unique table names.

-O