Re: storing images - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Nash Pelayo
Subject Re: storing images
Date
List pgsql-php
much better to store your images in a drive location
(folder), then just store the path of that image/s to
your database ( e.g. "/images/sample.jpg").. This
process optimize your database to handle less capacity
of record.

proposed datbase design
TABLE
id=tinyint
name=varchar(50)
image_path=varchar(100)

SAMPLE DATABASE (id,name,image_path)
1, roses, /images/roses.jpg
2, orchid, /images/orchid.jpg

To display the image, just retrieve the image path of
the image(image_path field), then echo it to your
HTML/PHP page script.

-daBeast-

--- "scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Adrian Tineo wrote:
>

> > >I am searching for tutorials to store and
> properly display images using
> > >php-postgresql!
> > >
> > >What data type must be the image collumn on my
> database?
> > >how can i display the images ?
> > >how can i control the size of the stored image?
> >
> > To include large objects (like images) in the
> database you need to use
> > BLOBs, I think the type for postgresql is "bytea".
> Check the docs. I seem to
> > remember that you inserted them by means of
> "lo_import" and extracted them
> > via "lo_export".
> >
> > I am designing an application that needs images
> (who doesn't?) but I have
> > decided to store the images separately as usual
> images (gif, jpg) and store
> > in the database the link to those images, so I
> read the link from the
> > database and the php script loads the image from
> the link. I don't have any
> > special requirement for the security of the
> images, that is, if you knew the
> > link yourself you could load it in the browser but
> that is not important.
>
> This isn't strictly true anymore.  You can now use
> the bytea type to store
> binary objects into, but they need to be properly
> escaped.  much easier to
> manipulate than those pesky large objects.

> http://archives.postgresql.org

=====
Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If
thereader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this to the
intendedrecipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is
strictlyprohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying
tothe message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you.