Re: New and investigating - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Derek Clarkson
Subject Re: New and investigating
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi,
    Just thought I might drop my two cents worth in, so take this as my opinion
only ;-)

One thing that came across very clearly to me reading 'The cathedral and the
Bazaar' (read it if you haven't) is the difference in attitude between a
closed source company such as oracle and the open source hackers who write
products such as Postgres. Closed source companies tend to spend a lot of
time and money generated marketting hype, test cases and "big" clients in
order to make you want to buy their products. This makes sense as they need
to sell the product to make money. From the buyers point of view it gives
them that warm fuzzy feeling about spending all that money. I.e. if that
government or corporation is using this product then it must be good.

Open source people on the other hard tend to spend more time working on the
product and allow it to speak for them. This means that the sort of
documentation you might be looking for will either not be there or be a lot
harder to find. This may sound silly but on the other hand it also makes a
lot of sense. It allows the developers of the product to devote all of their
time to making the product good. This is best illustrated by the speed at
which open source products adds new features and fix bugs. I've yet to see a
closed source company that can respond as fast.

So is Postgres good ? I think you can only judge this by the quantity and
strength of the activity around it. Any open source project which does not
have a good core product will quickly die as people get frustrated and move
to other products. The fact that Postgres is doing well with a healthy and
active user base, plus plenty of development going on speaks well for it.

Should you try it ? I don't know. This is a decision that only you can make. I
would suggest that you do spend some of your time to install it on a test
machine and 'play' with it for a while to get the feel of the software and
how it works. It's not going to cost you anything bar some of your time. From
this you will then be able to decide whether Postgres is for you.

If theres one thing I've learned over the years it's that to never believe
what sales people tell me. I don't care how big the software company is or
how fabulous the product appears. I'll play with before I decide whether to
buy it. basically because there are always things they never tell you. Little
"gotcha's!" that aren't in the doco. Of course every product has them, even
Postgres. but whether a gotcha is a bug, design issue or just because you are
used to doing things differently, is different for each user.

Anyway, thats my little speach. Please don't shoot me if you don't like it.
It's just the way I think of things at the moment. I hope it helps in some
way.

cio
Derek.