Re: New and investigating - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Juliet May
Subject Re: New and investigating
Date
List pgsql-novice
Alain,

I have been using Postgresql for about the past year. I have been very happy
with its performance and especially how easy it is to learn. I really don't
have much to contribute as far as performance goes because I haven't had the
opportunity to compare it to other databases. In fact I learned everything I
know about database design and administration while using Postgresql.

Our site is fairly small. My database has about 75 active tables and 5
views. My largest table has about 10,000 records. I only have about 80 users
retrieving and adding data to the database through a web interface I
designed in php. I haven't had any reported problems from any of the users.
During heavy development and testing of applications and queries (usually
with many problems in them) I have experienced the database shutting down
due to shared memory space. It probably would have only happened once if I
had made the recommended changes I found in the help docs but everytime the
problem has occured I have been too busy and figured it was just easier to
restart the server.

For references I have been using the postgresql site (it looks like they
just updated their documentation format) and the book PostgreSql Developer's
Handbook published by Sams. Between the two I have learned to implement
simple queries (selects, updates, deletes), joins, stored procedures,
transactions, database installation, and database maintenance.

If I can be of any help let me know :)

Julie

P.S. For everyone else out there --> If anyone knows of a telecommuting job
where I can use my skills I would really appreciate the info.