Re: Sun vs. Mac - best Postgres platform? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Sun vs. Mac - best Postgres platform?
Date
Re: Sun vs. Mac - best Postgres platform?  (Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org>)
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 10:10:54AM -0800, CaptainX0r wrote:
> > could you post your $PGDATA/postgresql.conf for our viewing
> > pleasure ?
>
> max_connections = 64
> shared_buffers = 65536          # 1/2 total RAM /8K
> sort_mem = 100000               # min 64, size in KB
             ^^^^^^
There's your problem.  Don't set that anywhere near that high.
If you run 2 queries that require sorting, _each sort_ can use up to
100000 K.  Which can chew up all your memory pretty fast.

> effective_cache_size = 65536    # typically 8KB each

What basis did you have to change this?  Have you done work figuring
out how big the kernel's disk cache is regularly on that system?

> Hannu brings up a good point - one that was debated before my
> attempts at making Solaris faster.  If you were going to make a
> fast postgres server what would you use?  Assuming you could
> afford a SunFire 280R (~$8k?), would that money be better spent
> on a (say) Dell server running (say) linux?  We're doing light

I've been finding FreeBSD way faster than Linux.  But yes.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110