Re: Install postgres 7.2 on Mac problems - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Install postgres 7.2 on Mac problems
Date
List pgsql-novice
 Irfan,

> I am NEW.
>
> I installed postgres 7.2 on Mac os x.1 using the pkg
> from mac's site. Now the package has created a user
> postgre , but whats the default password for this
> user?
> Also, I do i need to change hba.conf files as
> mentioned in other posts or that is not required if I
> am installing using the Mac pkg.

I'm afraid that I don't know much about the official Apple package.  What
version is it? (7.2.1, 7.2.2 or 7.2.3?)

Open up the Shell or terminal application and try:
psql -U postgres template1

It may let you in without a password, and then you can set the password by
doing:

ALTER USER postgres WITH PASSWORD 'password';

I don't know what the Mac package sets as its pg_hba.conf; you should take a
look at it if you are having trouble connecting.

I have installed Postgres on OSX, but only from source.  Sorry I'm not more
help.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions