Unicode - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Reshat Sabiq
Subject Unicode
Date
List pgsql-novice
I have tried inserting a string with Unicode character, and then a
non-English ASCII character into a postgres DB on cygwin from pgAdminII.
Both failed. Unicode actually displays as its equivalent ASCII in the
tool, and that probably has to do with pgAdmin rather than postgres and
is not a concern.
But then I tried to do the same from a Java class, and it failed too:
java.sql.SQLException: ERROR:  parser: parse error at or near "'My word
ým'" at character 28
at org.postgresql.core.QueryExecutor.execute(QueryExecutor.java:131)
at
org.postgresql.jdbc1.AbstractJdbc1Connection.ExecSQL(AbstractJdbc1Connec
tion.java:505)

I even tried to re-encode the sql statement into "Unicode", but that can
be tricky and I'm not sure I got it right.

Thank you for any feedback.

P.S. In Java I only get the line references. In pgAdmin, however, it
says this for character 'ý' (0xfd) when it is the last one:
Invalid Unicode character sequence found (0xfd000a)
This is actually an ISO-8859-1 character, not Unicode. Although it's not
in English. If it's followed by 'm' for example, the error says:
... (0xfd6d00)
In reality this character should map to (0x00fd), and it shouldn't
matter what it's followed by.

P.P.S. Just in case, where could I get the source for JDBC driver? It's
not included in my cygwin distribution. I only have the compiled code.

Thank you,
r.