Re: more adequate usage msg: pg_controldata.diff - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: more adequate usage msg: pg_controldata.diff
Date
List pgsql-patches
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Bruce Momjian writes:
>
> > Patch applied, with slight adjustment.  New output is:
>
> I explained in my last message that this patch is wrong.  Please revert
> it.  (DATADIR is not an option and therefore it shouldn't be listed in the
> options list.)

I tried to subtely point out that it is optional.  The C code is:

    if (argc > 1)
        DataDir = argv[1];
    else
        DataDir = getenv("PGDATA");
    if (DataDir == NULL)
    {
        fprintf(stderr, _("%s: no data directory specified\n"), progname);
        fprintf(stderr, _("Try '%s --help' for more information.\n"), progname);
        exit(1);
    }

and it does work without it:

    $ pg_controldata
    pg_control version number:            72
    Catalog version number:               200212121
    Database cluster state:               in production
    pg_control last modified:             01/09/03 07:34:11
    Current log file ID:                  0
    Next log file segment:                3
    Latest checkpoint location:           0/2294848
    Prior checkpoint location:            0/8A9C60
    Latest checkpoint's REDO location:    0/2294848
    Latest checkpoint's UNDO location:    0/0
    Latest checkpoint's StartUpID:        12
    Latest checkpoint's NextXID:          6351
    Latest checkpoint's NextOID:          156300
    Time of latest checkpoint:            01/09/03 07:34:08
    Database block size:                  8192
    Blocks per segment of large relation: 131072
    Maximum length of identifiers:        64
    Maximum number of function arguments: 32
    Date/time type storage:               Floating point
    Maximum length of locale name:        128
    LC_COLLATE:                           C
    LC_CTYPE:                             C