Re: MD5 PasswordPacket - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: MD5 PasswordPacket
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Bruce Badger wrote:
> Where can I read up on the encoding of the String in the PasswordPacket
> required when I get an AuthenticationMD5Password message from the backend?

Read the source code.   :-)

> I've looked at some code that implements the encoding, but reading the
> specification (the intent) would be most useful.

That string is encoded twice, once with the username string, and another
time with the random salt sent from the server.

> One question in particular springs to mind: can usernames and passwords
> be made up of multi-byte characters, and how does this affect the MD5
> encoding?

It should be fine, I think.  The encoding is just a string if bytes to
MD5, and there is no encoding conversion done as part of that transfer.

Pennsylvania19073