Re: references table(multiple columns go here) - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Gary Stainburn
Subject Re: references table(multiple columns go here)
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thursday 19 Dec 2002 11:30 am, Tomasz Myrta wrote:
> Gary Stainburn wrote:
>
> The error is inside declaration of table "ranks.
> You can't create two similiar foreign keys: one based on field (rrank)
> and second one based on fields (rdid,rrank).
> You have to change:
> jrank        int4 not null references ranks(rrank),    -- needs sorting
> jrank        int4 not null,    -- needs sorting

Oops, thought I'd removed that one.  Sorry.  Thanks for all the help here.
SQL's a totally different thought process to anything I'm used to, but I'm
getting there slowly.

> > This is probably because of my background in as a COBOL programmer where
> > having multiple fields of the same name can cause problems (especially
> > with
> > MF Cobol which only partially supports it) as well as early (read
> > early 80's)
> > database experince where it wasn't allowed.   Also, I find it usefull
> > because
> > I know immediately which table a field has come from.
>
> As you wish.
>
> > Why does it make joins easier to use the same name for fields?
>
> If you create queries like this, you get rid of duplicates.
> select *
> from
> jobtypes
> join departments using (did)

I see your point. Maybe I'll have to rethink a bit. As I said, I'm having to
do a lot of rethinking.

--
Gary Stainburn