Re: Two features left - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jon Swinth
Subject Re: Two features left
Date
List pgsql-general
Maybe what you are talking about will not help.  The question is are you
trying to make nested transactions or savepoints?

Nested transactions would be useful for trying to interrupt a transaction and
have another action happen or not happen on it's own.  An example would be
when you want a credit card transaction to generate a log reguardless of
whether the out transaction is commited or rolled back.  The problem with
nested transactions is that it is easy to generate deadlocks, especially with
the write locks currently on foreign keys.

What may help is the concept of savepoint (if implemented internally).
Savepoints are usually named and allow rollback to a specific point in the
transaction.  There is no issue with deadlock since everything is still in
the same transaction.  You then don't have to have something call ABORT, you
simple need to say ROLLBACK TO <savepoint_name>.

BEGIN;
SELECT...
INSERT...
SAVEPOINT a ;
UPDATE...
ROLLBACK TO a ;
DELETE...
COMMIT;

On Wednesday 27 November 2002 12:25 pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Jean-Luc Lachance wrote:
> > Bruce,
> >
> > I assume one will be able to ABORT the current transaction without
> > aborting the higher transaction and ABORT ALL to abort all if needed.
>
> Right. I hadn't planned on ABORT ALL, but it could be done to abort the
> entire transaction.  Is there any standard on that?
>
> > What syntax will be available to the upper transaction to detect a lower
> > ABORT?
> > While there be something ? la Java ( try catch)?
>
> My initial implementation will be simple:
>
>     BEGIN;
>     SELECT ...
>     BEGIN;
>     UPDATE ...
>     ABORT;
>     DELETE ...
>     COMMIT;
>
> and later savepoints which allow you to abort back to a saved spot in your>
transaction.