Re: Question about DEADLOCK - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: Question about DEADLOCK
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 22 Nov 2002, Savita wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a question related to postgres.I have an application which is
> transferring data from MSSQL to Postgres at some regular interval.
>
> I had around 20,000 data in MSSQL which should be transferred to postgres.
> After transferring around 12000 data I got a error message
> ERROR: deadlock detected
> And after that data transfer has stopped.
>
> How to avoid this error and what is the reason for this error.

Most likely cause would be a concurrent transaction doing something that
caused a foreign key to get into a dead lock situation (the current
implementation grabs overly strong locks).  In any case, we'll need more
information about what else was going on probably.