forName finds Driver but getConnection doesn't - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Dennis King
Subject forName finds Driver but getConnection doesn't
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Hi All. I can't get to my carefully set-up database through java with
a simple test program. I think I've hit most of the required set-up
points:

* I've got all the postgresql packages installed (checked with rpm
-qa | grep -i postgres; they're there, including the jdbc one).
* I set tcpip_socket = true in /var/lib/pgsql/data/postgresql.conf.
* I also updated /etc/rc.d/init.d/ so that postmaster gets -o "-i";
this means that the "pg_ctl -D /var/lib/pgsql/data status" command
shows the -i flag was passed in.
* I have the right driver in the classpath (I pass in -classpath
/usr/share/pgsql/pgjdbc2.jar when compiling and running; for some
reason, copying the jar to /jre/lib/ext doesn't work with any jars
for me).
* I added the lines "host all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255 trust" and
"host all 192.168.0.0 255.255.0.0 trust" to
/var/lib/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf
* I created a new database, "webdb"
* I added the user "xxx" with the password "yyy" to the database, and
verified by logging into psql with -U xxx (had pg_hba.conf set to
password so was challenged and succeeded)

With all of this, my java program has these lines:

Connection dbConnection = null;
try{
Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver");
dbConnection = DriverManager.getConnection("jdbc:postgresql:webdb",
"xxx", "yyy");
}

I get the error "java.sql.SQLException: Driver not found for URL:
jdbc:postgresql:webdb". (Note it's finding the driver with the
forName() method call).

I've tried using jdbc:postgresql://localhost/webdb.

I have, of course, restarted the box several times.

Any pointers you have would be extremely gratefully received.

Best,

Dennis