Re: Couple quick questions.... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ian Barwick
Subject Re: Couple quick questions....
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sunday 03 November 2002 18:47, Dan Ostrowski wrote:
> Hullo all.
>
> Developing with PostgreSQL for the first time, and just had a few quick
> questions:
>
> 1)  How are indexes recorded? Is there a system table that stores
> sequences/indexes, or are they stored internally?  I would like to be
> able to access ALL sequences/indexes in a database just by name, so i
> can have a program do maintenance ( i.e. delete them when needed ).
>
> 2) I need functionality akin to a "DESC table"  where i can get a query
> result ( from an API, not the command line program ) that describes
> type, name, etc. about the fields in a table.  I know this one has been
> answered here, but i seem to have lost the message i saved about it.

The short answer:
have a look at the pg_* tables (in psql type \dS )

The "RTFM" answer:
http://www.postgresql.org/idocs/index.php?extend.html

The practical answer:
Start psql with the -E option; this will show you the SQL statements
used when executing various slash commands.

HTH

Ian Barwick
barwick@gmx.net