Can't import databases with pg_dump. Why? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Antonio G. - Geotronix
Subject Can't import databases with pg_dump. Why?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi.

I'm trying to import some databases I had on redhat 7.2 (think it had
postgressql-7.1.x series but not sure) to my new Debian woody
installation (postgresql 7.2.1-2woody2). I created a database called
'famiglia' under the postgres user. Then, always by postgres user i did:

gaia:/etc/postgresql$ pg_dump famiglia < /mnt/redhat/home/postgres_postgres \
/famiglia.dump

and  this is what I got as a result:

--
-- Selected TOC Entries:
--

--
-- TOC Entry ID 2 (OID 16556)

CREATE FUNCTION "plpgsql_call_handler" () RETURNS opaque AS
'$libdir/plpgsql', 'plpgsql_call_handler' LANGUAGE 'C';

--
-- TOC Entry ID 3 (OID 16557)
--

CREATE TRUSTED PROCEDURAL LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' HANDLER
"plpgsql_call_handler" LANCOMPILER '';

gaia:/etc/postgresql$

Obviuosly there are no relations in the database because the import
failed somewhere and I can't figure out where. I'm not getting any deubg
info from /var/log/postgresql.log even though I've set:

debug_level = 1
debug_print_query = on
log_connections = on
log_pid = on
log_timestamp = on
syslog = 2
# if syslog is 0, turn silent_mode off!
silent_mode = off
syslog_facility = LOCAL0
trace_notify = off
max_connections = 64
# shared_buffers must be at least twice max_connections, and not less
# than 16
shared_buffers = 128
# TCP/IP access is allowed by default, but the default access given in
# pg_hba.conf will permit it only from localhost, not other machines.
tcpip_socket = 1

in /etc/postgresql/postgresql.conf and:

local        all                                           ident
sameuser
host         all         127.0.0.1     255.0.0.0           ident
sameuser
host         all         0.0.0.0       0.0.0.0             reject
host         all         192.168.0.3   255.255.255.0       trust

in /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf. The only info I get form the log file
are 2 lines:

FindExec: found "/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postgres" using argv[0]
FindExec: found "/usr/lib/postgresql/bin/postmaster" using argv[0]

when I give '/etc/init.d/postgresql restart'.

Any suggestions on what's happening? and how I can solve this. It would
be a tedious work to create all databases from scratch and import all
tables in the new databases.....

Thanyou and bye.

Antonio G.