Re: table overflow question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: table overflow question
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 10:41:39PM -0400, Williams, Travis L, NPONS wrote:
> All,

>     I have a script that will fork off x number of process ... each one
>     of these opens a connection to the db polls a different server and
>     polls 200+ mibs.  I am doing a update after every poll (so 1 poll
>     (out of 200) then a update.. then another poll and update and so on
>     till 200).  So I have 5 db connections each doing a update to the
>     same table but to different rows.  Now this works ok.  and it work
>     ok if I go up to 10 connections at once.. but any more than that and
>     I get the error "Can't Connect to DB: FATAL 1: cannot open pg_class:
>     File table overflow" now is this to be expected.. or is there some
>     performace tweak I can add.. btw I am running on a hpux 11.11 dual
>     550 512M.

Looks like you've run into a open file limit. If you're using linux you
should look in /proc/sys/fs to make sure you can actually open the number of
files you need. You should estimate at least 40 files per server.

I think file-max is the one you want.