Re: table overflow question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: table overflow question
Date
List pgsql-general
> Looks like you've run into a open file limit. If you're using linux you
> should look in /proc/sys/fs to make sure you can actually open the number of
> files you need. You should estimate at least 40 files per server.
> I think file-max is the one you want.

He said he was using HPUX.  On HPUX 10.20, the kernel parameters NFILE
and NINODE would be the things to bump up; I suspect 11 is the same.

The other direction to attack it from is to reduce PG's parameter
MAX_FILES_PER_PROCESS, but if you have to set that lower than 100
or so then you'd be better advised to fix the kernel.

            regards, tom lane