Re: Postgresql and multithreading - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: Postgresql and multithreading
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2002 at 01:25:23AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Anuradha Ratnaweera wrote:
> >
> > > ... what I want to know is whether multithreading is likely to get
> > > into in postgresql, say somewhere in 8.x, or even in 9.x?
> >
> > It may be optional some day, most likely for Win32 at first, but we see
> > little value to it on most other platforms;  of course, we may be wrong.
>
> In that case, I wonder if it is worth folking a new project to add
> threading support to the backend?  Of course, keeping in sync with the
> original would be lot of work.

Actually, if you go through the archives, there has been talk about what
would have to be done to the main source tree towards getting threading
included ... as well as a lengthy discussion about the steps involved.

the first and foremost issue that needs to be addressed is cleaning up the
global variables that are used throughout ...