Re: v7.3 Branched ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Marc G. Fournier
Subject Re: v7.3 Branched ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 17 Oct 2002, Justin Clift wrote:

> > Thomas Swan wrote:
> >
> > Justin Clift wrote:
> <snip>
> > > Ok.  Wonder if it's worth someone creating a "PostgreSQL Powertools"
> > > type of package, that includes in one download all of these nifty
> > > tools (pg_autotune, oid2name, etc) that would be beneficial to have
> > > compiled and already available.  Kind of like "contrib" is (oid2name is
> > > already there I know), but so people don't have to go hunting all over GBorg
> > > to find the bits that they'd want.
> > >
> > That would be wonderful if it included some of the more stable tools /
> > add-ons that have been removed from the main distribution or have
> > existed independent of the main PostgreSQL development.
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> Want to get it together?

Just a thought, and I've included chris in this ... is there some way of
setting up maybe a 'meta package' on Gborg that would auto-pull in and
package stuff like this?

For instance, in FreeBSD ports, you can make such that when you type in
'make', it just goes to other ports and builds/installs those ...

Baring that, how about the ability to create a new category that is
maintained by someone that various project maintains could 'cross-link'
their projects into?