Re: Help normalizing table(s) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Help normalizing table(s)
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 09:24:59PM +0530, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> On 17 Oct 2002 at 11:12, Kevin Old wrote:
>
> > My solution to this is to store the data in tables by hour.  This keeps
> > the tables relatively small (50-100K records) and helps with searching.

> In postgresql, you can inherit a table from another table. You can query on
> base table and gather rows from child table. So make an empty base table, make
> each hourly table child of base table and query on base table. It will take
> care of everything. Remove the hourly table after 48 hours..

What will happen when you want to look at the last 24 hours and not 48?
And if somebody want to look at the last 72 hours?

I think this is not a good idea.  And I know this because I did the same
thing some time ago, and it was so huge a PITA that I eventually ended
merging all the tables into one.

"When the proper man does nothing (wu-wei),
his thought is felt ten thousand miles." (Lao Tse)