Re: Help normalizing table(s) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Help normalizing table(s)
Date
List pgsql-general
On 17 Oct 2002 at 14:30, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 09:24:59PM +0530, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > On 17 Oct 2002 at 11:12, Kevin Old wrote:
> >
> > > My solution to this is to store the data in tables by hour.  This keeps
> > > the tables relatively small (50-100K records) and helps with searching.
>
> > In postgresql, you can inherit a table from another table. You can query on
> > base table and gather rows from child table. So make an empty base table, make
> > each hourly table child of base table and query on base table. It will take
> > care of everything. Remove the hourly table after 48 hours..
>
> What will happen when you want to look at the last 24 hours and not 48?
> And if somebody want to look at the last 72 hours?

Hey, timestamps are stored with each record right? Include time cause in the
where part as well. Some child table will succeed some won't.. Postgresql will
take care of that. Why bother?

Bye
 Shridhar

--
Knebel's Law:    It is now proved beyond doubt that smoking is one of the leading
causes of statistics.