Stored procedure returning row or resultset - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Heiko Stoermer
Subject Stored procedure returning row or resultset
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hello,

I'm trying to achieve the following with pl/pgsql in postgres 7.2:

I need a stored procedure proc() that calculates values for some fields
a = f1()
b = a + f2()
c = b + f3()
and returns the tuple (a,b,c) as a rowtype,

so that "select proc()" produces a "normal" resultset that can be used in an
application.

I know of course that I could write out
SELECT
(f1()) AS a
(f1() + f()) AS b
(f1() + f2() + f3()) AS c ...
in plain SQL and create a view on that, but the problem is that f1(), f2(),
f3() are complex and expensive computations that I want to run only once. In
the example I would call f1() three times, which is inacceptable.

Is there a way to accomplish this? I have tried around quite a bit, but I
cannot find out the correct syntax .

Thank you,
Heiko Stoermer

--
Heiko Stoermer
Diplom-Informatiker (FH)             Login & Solutions AG