Re: Script to compute random page cost - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Script to compute random page cost
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As an end result of all this, do we now have a decent utility by which
> end user admin's can run it against the same disk/array that their
> PostgreSQL installation is on, and get a reasonably accurate number for
> random page cost?
>
> ie:
>
> $ ./get_calc_cost
> Try using random_page_cost = foo
>
> $
>
> :-)

Right now we only have my script:
ftp://candle.pha.pa.us/pub/postgresql/randcost

It uses dd so it forks for every loop and shows a value for my machine
around 2.5.  I need to code the loop in C to get more accurate numbers.

Pennsylvania19073