Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> They also state that they have more sophisticated ALTER TABLE...
>
> Only usable feature in their ALTER TABLE that doesn't (yet) exist in
> PostgreSQL was changing column order (ok, the order by in table creation
> could be nice), and that's still almost purely cosmetic. Anyway, I could
> have used that command yesterday. Could this be added to pgsql.

I agree with your message except for that statement. MySQL alter table
provides the ability to change column types and cast the records
automatically. I remember that feature as really the only thing from MySQL
that I've ever missed.

Of course, it's not that wonderful in theory. During development you can
easily drop/recreate the tables and reload the test data; during production
you don't change the data types of your attributes.

But in practice, during development it's handy sometimes.

Regards,Jeff