Re: LC_COLLATE problem between linux distros - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: LC_COLLATE problem between linux distros
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 02:12:11AM -0400, Craig Longman wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-10-04 at 02:04, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> > We have a similar setup here where only the directories shown appear. But
> > en_US seems to work fine here. have you tried: dpkg-reconfigure locales
>
> ah-ha!  no i hadn't tried that yet.  still wrapping my brain around
> these things.  during setup, i had simply left it to 'C' (whatever that
> is) and skipped along.  forcibly choosing en_US allowed pgsql to start
> up fine.   interestingly, there still isn't an en_US directory in the
> /usr/share/locales, so i don't know what magic its using to track en_US
> down, but so long as it works i guess.

It's a bit tricky. There is a set of charmaps (ISO-8859-*,UTF-8,Big5,etc)
(usually in /usr/share/i18n/charmaps) and a set of locales (en_*,etc)
(usually in /usr/share/locale). These are then compiled by localedef into
usable form for setlocale(). These compiled forms are in /usr/lib/locale.

The long and short of it is that if you want to use a locale (other than
C/POSIX) with a charset, you need to make it first. /etc/locale.gen
contains a list of locales you want automatically recompiled each upgrade.

Hopefully this clears the confusion,