Re: rotatelog / logrotate with PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: rotatelog / logrotate with PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 08:58:22AM -0600, scott.marlowe wrote:
> Well, I've found the syslog facility to be noticeable slower than
> rotatelogs with pgsql doing its own logging.  So that's why I do it the
> rotatelogs way.  Choice is good.

One thing to be careful of is to put a hyphen before the filename in the
syslog config. This will stop syslog doing a sync() after *every* message,
which quite noticably kills performance. Also make sure it's only logging to
the logs you want and not to multiple files.

Hope this helps,