Re: [HACKERS] New PostgreSQL Tool available :pg_autotune - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Justin Clift
Subject Re: [HACKERS] New PostgreSQL Tool available :pg_autotune
Date
List pgsql-general
Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> > You should have chosen a better foundation.  pg_bench is notorious for
> > producing results that are (a) nonrepeatable and (b) not relevant to
> > a wide variety of situations.  All it really tells you about is the
> > efficiency of a large number of updates to a small number of rows.
>
> You might want to try -N option of pgbench. It avoids updates to
> branches and tellers tables.

Cool.  Do you feel this will noticeable increase the consistency of the
measurements?

The inconsistency of the internal benchmark results means that
pg_autotune has been using 5-run averages, and using a large tolerance
factor by default.  It would be good to improving on that.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> --