Re: missed features and unhappy changes when pg 7.1->7.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Stephan Szabo
Subject Re: missed features and unhappy changes when pg 7.1->7.2
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Yury Bokhoncovich wrote:

> Maybe I missed something but what are reasons to change behaviour in 7.2
> in comparison with 7.1?
> I mean that early PG just truncated the rest (tail) of extra long string
> (i.e. where len(string)>char(this attr) but insert the head. Now inserting
> fails. Is it tunable somewhere in GUC so I could revert to old behaviour?

Not currently.  This was a push to become more complient with sql's
desired handling for strings like that.

> And yet, what is the Right Way to deal with timestamp?
> Now I'm using Thomas's recipe \"timestamp\" but it loooks wierd and bad.

For most of the uses of timestamp(), you probably should now be using
either a timestamp literal (timestamp '...') or a cast (cast(... as
timestamp).  The reason this changed was again an sql compatibility issue,
timestamp(n) in sql terms is a type with a particular precision.