missed features and unhappy changes when pg 7.1->7.2 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Yury Bokhoncovich
Subject missed features and unhappy changes when pg 7.1->7.2
Date
Re: missed features and unhappy changes when pg 7.1->7.2  (Stephan Szabo <sszabo@megazone23.bigpanda.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hello!

Maybe I missed something but what are reasons to change behaviour in 7.2
in comparison with 7.1?
I mean that early PG just truncated the rest (tail) of extra long string
(i.e. where len(string)>char(this attr) but insert the head. Now inserting
fails. Is it tunable somewhere in GUC so I could revert to old behaviour?

And yet, what is the Right Way to deal with timestamp?
Now I'm using Thomas's recipe \"timestamp\" but it loooks wierd and bad.

--
WBR, Yury Bokhoncovich, Senior System Administrator, NOC of F1 Group.
Phone: +7 (3832) 106228, ext.140, E-mail: byg@center-f1.ru.