Re: RPMS for 7.3 beta. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: RPMS for 7.3 beta.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> > ... What I am looking
> > at is whether the user will have to run 7.3's pg_dump in order to migrate
> > older data.
>
> AFAIK this is not *necessary*, though it may be *helpful*.  Aside from
> the OPAQUE issue, which we will fix one way or another, I am aware of
> these issues for loading a pre-7.3 dump:
>
> * A reloaded dump will fail to GRANT EXECUTE TO PUBLIC on functions,
>   likewise fail to GRANT USAGE TO PUBLIC on procedural languages.
>   This may not bother some people, but for those it does bother,
>   it's not that hard to issue the GRANTs manually after loading the dump.
>
> * A reloaded dump will not create dependencies between serial columns
>   and sequence objects, nor between triggers and foreign key
>   constraints, thus 7.3's nifty new support for DROP CONSTRAINT won't
>   work, nor will dropping a table make its associated sequences go away.
>   However, this can be boiled down to saying that it still works like it
>   did before.

These seem like poor reasons for using 7.3 pg_dump on 7.2 databases.
Item #1 can be easily fixed via an SQL command issued after the load, if
desired, and #2 is really not something specific to the RPM issue.

We may be better writing a script that uses the names of the
triggers/sequences to create dependency information automatically.  Has
anyone looked at that?

Pennsylvania19073