Re: postgres functions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: postgres functions
Date
List pgsql-general
The easiest way that I can think of is using plpython (although for those so
inclined, I imagine plperl might do the job about as easily):

create function nelem(text) returns int as '
return len(args[0].split('',''))
' language 'plpython';

That should work very quickly compared with any loop or recursion. The first
call might take a moment to load the python interpreter, but after that if
should be fine.

Regards,
    Jeff