Re: Making small bits of code available - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Making small bits of code available
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 12:52:06 -0400,
  Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:

> > Should the creation of these functions be added to the existing script
> > for earth_distance or should it be a separate script? It seems unlikely
> > that someone would be using both of these at the same time, since one
> > is based on the point type and the other on the cube type. However the
> > overhead of installing both seems small, so maybe making it easier to
> > try both and then pick one is worthwhile.
>

> Install them both.  Just make sure it is clear which is which, or are
> yours superior and the old one should be removed?

They are different and someone could want either.

I forgot to ask about how to handle the dependency on contrib/cube.

I can see three options. Automatically install contrib/cube when building
contrib/earthdistance, refuse to work unless contrib cube appears to be
installed, or only install the original stuff if contribe/cube is not
available. Trying to do different installs based on whether or not
contrib/cube is installed seems like a bad idea as it is mistake prone
and could be confusing.

> Not sure.  I don't think we want to public permit this stuff unless the
> admin asks for it.

I will put in some comments about needing to make functions public for normal
user access.