Re: Issues on OSX - Jaguar - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christoph Dalitz
Subject Re: Issues on OSX - Jaguar
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 05 Sep 2002 16:43:11 -0400
pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org wrote:

> I can' run psql from the command line. I get an error that says "psql:
> command not found". At first I thought it might have my path screwed up so I
> went directly into /usr/local/bin and tried to run psql from there. Same
> message.
>
> I cannot invoke the postmaster from the command line either. Very odd
> considering that the postmaster is running from startup.

This seems to have to do with your PATH setting.
Check with "echo $PATH" how your path is set.

Moreover check what psql actually is: on my system (Debian Linux) it is
a symbolic link to pg_wrapper.

Moreover the default shell on Mac OSX is tcsh, which is probably not
what you want (C-shell variants are inappropriate for scripting).
AFAIK tcsh uses a hash map for looking up commands; this map is
rebuilt with the command "rehash".

It is generally wise to change the default shell to zsh (a strongly
improved version of the Bourne shell). The system wide startup file
of zsh is /etc/profile, which is *not* read by tcsh.

Hope this helps

Christoph Dalitz