Re: Retrieving the new nextval... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From GB Clark
Subject Re: Retrieving the new nextval...
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 18:32:45 +0200 (CEST)
friedrich nietzsche <nietzsche_psql@yahoo.it> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm in trouble with the same problem, but in PHP..
> With your solution, I cannot be totally sure that last
> inserted raw was mine...
> Because I'm on a web page, it could be that, as soon
> as I've inserted my record, another one do an
> insertion, so I would get the wrong ID...
> does transactions resolve this, in Psql???
> I thought to solve it with a similiar solution,
> working in transactions inserting a raw and
> immedialtly after read from DB last raw, but who
> assure me that all will go right??
> If I was on a server app., I (and you, if it is your
> case) would insert a timestamp, and then I'd select
> from table where timestamp = mysavedtime;
> But in my case there could be two or more equals
> timestamp, cause there's not only one application
> working with DB...
> I'm still reading, searching, trying...
> ciao
> danilo

If your on the same connection, then currval()/nextval() will do the
correct thing.  i.e. if this is the same php page, then it should be the same
connection.  If not, I would use php's session support to pass the sequence number
onto the next page.

currval()/nextval() are connection safe.  As far as I know the php connection system works correctly
(just don't try to use a DBM file at the same time as a pgsql connection... PHP does NOT like that!)

GB