Re: [SQL] Retrieving the new "nextval" for primary keys.... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From GB Clark
Subject Re: [SQL] Retrieving the new "nextval" for primary keys....
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 28 Aug 2002 18:36:10 +0200 (CEST)
friedrich nietzsche <nietzsche_psql@yahoo.it> wrote:

>  One solution seems to locking table(s),
> but I prefer to leave it as last chance...
> using table locks, and the trick of writing and
> suddenly reading back from DB it probably works,
> but it doesn't seems so sexy... :)
> ciao
> danilo

Why would you have to lock the table?  currval() is connection safe.

I would either do the insert and then do a currval() OR do a nextval()
and do the insert.  Either one would work. I always just do the insert
and then call currval() to get the current serial number for the connection.

GB

--
GB Clark II             | Roaming FreeBSD Admin
gclarkii@VSServices.COM | General Geek