Re: Open 7.3 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lamar Owen
Subject Re: Open 7.3 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tuesday 27 August 2002 03:19 pm, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I think we need to resolve this discussion from a week ago.  The current
> code is this:

I thought it WAS resolved, to do:

>     global usernames are stored just like before, e.g. postgres
>     local users are stored as user@dbname
>     when connecting, global users add '@' to their names
>     when connecting, local users use just their user name, no @dbname

> Tom likes this because it is the fewer global users who have to append
> the '@'.

At least that was my perception of the uneasy consensus reached.

Basically, this tags the @ as magic saying, during the client connect process,
'I'm GLOBAL, treat me differently'.  Now that I actually understand how this
is supposed to work, which your four lines above elucidate nicely, I am in
more agreement than I was that this is the right answer to this issue.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio