Re: Open 7.3 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: Open 7.3 items
Date
Re: Open 7.3 items  (Vince Vielhaber <vev@michvhf.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 10:21:12AM -0400, Vince Vielhaber wrote:
> RPMs aren't a good enough reason to put it in.  All features aren't
> installed in an RPM, why would this need to?   Besides, anything that
> is runtime configurable can end up getting its default changed on a
> whim.  Then again as long as 7.2.1 is stable enough for me there's
> no reason to upgrade 'cuze I damn sure ain't going back and changing
> all sorts of programs and scripts that have global users.
So, Vince, do you have problems with the various GUC based optimizer
hooks getting set to other than the default? I'd think you'd notice
if suddenly indexscans all went away, or any of these:

#enable_seqscan = true
#enable_indexscan = true
#enable_tidscan = true
#enable_sort = true
#enable_nestloop = true
#enable_mergejoin = true
#enable_hashjoin = true

My point is that your resistance to a GUC controlled runtime configurable
on the basis of 'it might get changed accidently' makes little sense to
me, given all the other runtime config settings that never do get changed.
What makes you think this one will be more susceptible to accidental
flipping?

I'm not sure who's 'whim' it is that your afraid of: perhaps you have a
paticularly sadistic DBA to deal with? ;-) And of course, this being
free software and all, noone is forcing an upgrade on you.

Ross