Re: Open 7.3 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Open 7.3 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Lee Kindness <lkindness@csl.co.uk> writes:
> Vince Vielhaber writes:
>>> [ 'user@' patch ]
>>> whim.  Then again as long as 7.2.1 is stable enough for me there's
>>> no reason to upgrade 'cuze I damn sure ain't going back and changing
>>> all sorts of programs and scripts that have global users.

> Having read bits and pieces of this thread, can those in favour
> confirm that this would be an effect of this patch?

I think Vince is talking through his hat.  The proposed flag wouldn't
ever be enabled by default.  If someone did turn it on in their
installation "on a whim", they'd soon turn it off again if they didn't
like the effects.  I do not see much difference between the above
argument and arguing "we shouldn't have i18n support, because if I
turned it on on a whim I wouldn't be able to read my error messages".

Once again: *no one* has at any time suggested that any form of this
patch should affect the default behavior in the slightest.

> Also what effect would adding significance to '@' in the context of
> usernames have, if any, on the current use of it as a database/host
> separator (in ECPG, certainly would be useful in the utilities too)?

Well, I don't see any difficulty there, but if you are aware of a
context where it'd be a problem, point it out!