Re: Open 7.3 items - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lee Kindness
Subject Re: Open 7.3 items
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Vince Vielhaber writes:> [ 'user@' patch ]> whim.  Then again as long as 7.2.1 is stable enough for me there's> no
reasonto upgrade 'cuze I damn sure ain't going back and changing> all sorts of programs and scripts that have global
users.

Having read bits and pieces of this thread, can those in favour
confirm that this would be an effect of this patch? If so I fail to
see the usefulness of this and indeed it would be very harmful to
existing installations! All use of PostgreSQL utilities in scripts for
our product always do a '-U sprint' to use a global user, this aids
our internal development and makes installation notes for clients
easier...

Also what effect would adding significance to '@' in the context of
usernames have, if any, on the current use of it as a database/host
separator (in ECPG, certainly would be useful in the utilities too)?

Thanks, Lee.