Re: OOP real life example (was Re: Why is MySQL more - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: OOP real life example (was Re: Why is MySQL more
Date
Re: OOP real life example (was Re: Why is MySQL more  (Greg Copeland <greg@CopelandConsulting.Net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Curt Sampson wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > Yea, you have to question what value the discussion has, really.  We
> > have users of inheritance that like it.  If we can get a TODO item out
> > of the disucssion, great, but there doesn't seem to be any direction of
> > where the discussion is heading.

>     1. The current implementation is broken.
>
>     2. We have no proper description of how a "fixed" implementation
>     should work.
>
>     3. It's hard to fix the current implementation without such a
>     description.
>
>     4. Thus, we are in other messages here trying to work out the
>     model and come up with such a description.
>
>     5. The people working this out at the moment appear to be me,
>     Greg Copeland and Hannu Krosing.

OK, great summary.  Isn't the bottom-line issue the limitation of not
being able to create an index that spans tables?  Is there any way to
implement that?  We have sequences that can span tables.  Can that help
us?

Pennsylvania19073