Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a revolution in - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Democracy and organisation : let's make a revolution in
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck wrote:
> Jean-Michel POURE wrote:
> > [...]
> > As for current PostgreSQL organization, can someone explain me which W32 port
> > will make its way to PostgreSQL main source code? Can someone publish a
> > schedule for replication availability? Who is in charge of explaining newbees
> > that MySQL InnoDB is just a marketing lie? What is the current PostgreSQL
> > market share?
>
> I think the first native Win32 port that gets contributet will make it.

This line bothers me.  With multiple people working on Win32, I would
like us to decide how we would _like_ such a port to be implemented. I
think this will assist those working on the project to _know_ that their
work will be accepted if submitted.

Also, I encourage people working on Win32 ports to contribute their work
_as_ the complete each module, rather than as one huge patch.  That way,
other Win32 porters can benefit from their work and maybe we can get
this done in 1/2 the time.

What I don't want to happen is two Win32 projects contributing duplicate
code at the same time.  It is a waste when they could have combined
their efforts.

So, my message to Win32 porters is to communicate what you are doing,
including implementation details, and contribute back as soon as you
can.  If you don't, someone else may beat you to it, and your patch may
be rejected, leaving you to either scrap your work or continually port
your changes to every future PostgreSQL release.

Pennsylvania19026