Re: Case sensitivity - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Case sensitivity
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 07:53:06PM +0530, Varun Kacholia wrote:
>  Hi,
>   Well while moving from Mysql to POstgresql this was one more difference
> : Case Sensitivity.
>  The problem is in this query
>  select * from table where name='Word'
>  select * from table where name='word'
>
>  Mysql  treated both as same

Really!?  Wow.  Is there a way to differentiate 'Word' from 'word',
then?  (I mean, LeBlanc and Leblanc are not the same, when you're
addressing people.  And if you think the difference isn't important,
you've never been to Acadia!)

>  it is good but is there a way that 'Word' can be matched with 'word'?

Sure.  Use ILIKE:

    SELECT * FROM table WHERE name ILIKE 'word';

----
Andrew Sullivan                               87 Mowat Avenue
<andrew@libertyrms.info>                              M6K 3E3
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110