Re: Accessing another db? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Accessing another db?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 03:57:20PM +1000, Graeme Merrall wrote:
> After browsing through the archives and coming up nix I was wondering if
> it's possoble for a user to query the tables in another database. Coming
> from an Oracle background  it's possible to use "SELECT column1 FROM
> user.table" but I can't seem to find if this is possible in postgres
>
> I've read some discussion from April 2002 which infers that that
> functionality doesn't exist but it's coming in 7.3. Correct?

Postgres doesn't support queries from other databases and probably never
will. What you're referring to is schemas. i.e. grouping tables into schemas
and controlling access to each. This feature is under development and will
probably appear in 7.3.