Re: Contrib reindex script: - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Contrib reindex script:
Date
Re: Contrib reindex script:  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 13:13:29 -0400 (EDT)
"Bruce Momjian" <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> wrote:
> First, I think we need a section in the admin/maintenance manual talking
> about reindex.  (We already have vacuum there, and I think reindex is
> something that periodically also should be done.)

One simple improvement would be to change the documentation's view of
REINDEX -- at the moment, it says that it's only useful for rebuilding
"corrupted indexes". If it's a legitimate maintainence activity for
certain query loads, it should get a more positive spin.

Also, could we enhance REINDEX to not require an exclusive table lock?
Without looking at the code, I would think that we could at least allow
for SELECTs (using seqscans or other indexes) while a REINDEX is running.

Cheers,

Neil

--
Neil Conway <neilconway@rogers.com>