Re: Contrib reindex script: - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Contrib reindex script:
Date
Re: Contrib reindex script:  (Neil Conway <nconway@klamath.dyndns.org>)
List pgsql-general
Given the real file growth problems we have analyzed over the past
month, I think we need to rethink the tools we give to users.

First, I think we need a section in the admin/maintenance manual talking
about reindex.  (We already have vacuum there, and I think reindex is
something that periodically also should be done.)

Second, reindex on an entire database only works for stand-alone
databases.  Now, I know we can't reindex system tables on a live
database, but should we enable REINDEX all non-system tables  for a
database, similar to how we use vacuum?  Do we need the reindex script
like vacuumdb?

Shaun Thomas wrote:
> I modeled this after the vacuumdb script that is distributed in the
> postgresql-base distribution.  It can reindex a whole database, specific
> tables, or just a single index.  Being as we've had so much trouble with
> things growing out of control, and the group seems to have tracked it
> down to indexes, here it is.
>
> I don't understand why we have a vacuumdb script, but not a reindex
> script, considering the fact that vacuum doesn't clean up indexes.
>
> Anyway, I didn't bother to comment it, I just copied vacuumdb and
> changed relevant parts.  It's not pretty, but it works.  Maybe later
> I'll produce one that doesn't look like it was coughed up by a robot.
>
> --
> +-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
> | Shaun M. Thomas                INN Database Administrator           |
> | Phone: (309) 743-0812          Fax  : (309) 743-0830                |
> | Email: sthomas@townnews.com    AIM  : trifthen                      |
> | Web  : www.townnews.com                                             |
> |     "Most of our lives are about proving something, either to       |
> |      ourselves or to someone else."                                 |
> |                                           -- Anonymous              |

[ Attachment, skipping... ]