Re: Non-linear Performance - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: Non-linear Performance
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 08:36:50PM -0400, Doug Fields wrote:
> Also, the relatively slow speed for inserts with VARCHAR indices would
> conceivably be helped; I often insert data into a temp table and then
> INSERT INTO SELECT *... from the temp to the other one to get reasonable
> performance. I'd love to be able to turn off MVCC for those kinds of
> things; that is, instead of seeing one universal insert of 3 million rows,
> I wouldn't mind seeing them dribble in one at a time, thereby saving the
> overhead of MVCCing them.

Interesting. I have many indexes on varchar fields and have no such issues.
Ofcourse, inserting them all within a single transaction does speed it up a
lot. But when inserting rows, all MVCC adds is a few more bytes to each row,
there is no speed overhead. I'd be interested to know how MVCC would be
slowing anything down.