Re: Default privileges for new databases (was Re: Can't import large objects in most recent cvs) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Default privileges for new databases (was Re: Can't import large objects in most recent cvs)
Date
Re: Default privileges for new databases (was Re: Can't  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom,

> Probably we should have temp table creation allowed to all by default.
> I'm not convinced that that's a good idea for schema-creation privilege
> though.  Related issues: what should initdb set as the permissions for
> template1?  Would it make sense for newly created databases to copy
> their permission settings from the template database?  (Probably not,
> since the owner is likely to be different.)  What about copying those
> per-database config settings Peter just invented?

Yes.  I think there should be a not optional INITDB switch:  either --secure
or --permissive.   People usually know at the time of installation whether
they're building a web server (secure) or a home workstation (permissive).

Depending on the setting, this should set either a grant all or revoke all for
non-db owners as default, including such things as temp table creation.

--
-Josh Berkus

______AGLIO DATABASE SOLUTIONS___________________________                                       Josh Berkus  Complete
informationtechnology     josh@agliodbs.com   and data management solutions     (415) 565-7293  for law firms, small
businesses     fax 621-2533   and non-profit organizations.     San Francisco