Re: Efficient DELETE Strategies - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Efficient DELETE Strategies
Date
List pgsql-sql
Tom,

> >> If so, what's their syntax?
>
> > MSSQL seems to guess what the user wants.
>
> Gack.  Nothing like treating mindless syntax variations as a "feature"
> list...

I vote that we stick to a strick SQL92 interpretation, here.
1) It's standard
2) Strict syntax on DELETE statements is better.

Personally, I would *not* want the database to "guess what I want" in a delete
statement; it might guess wrong and there go my records ...

Heck, one of the things I need to research how to turn off in PostgreSQL is
the "Add missing FROM-clause" feature, which has tripped me up many times.

--
-Josh Berkus